Thursday, March 29, 2012

My Grandmothers Cucumbers

Years ago before my grandmother passed away she would always make these cucumbers for our Passover Seder. It's actually a very simple recipe, and I have been making for our Seder even since she passed away (to carry on the tradition of course).



Ingredients:
-Cucumbers (This year I decided to use English cucumbers since they are not waxy & I could leave the skin on. Also the number of cucumbers you use depends on the number of people you want to feed. I used 3.)
-Distilled white vinegar (I used about 5 cups. See below for more information.)
-White sugar to taste (I use Spenda)
-Time. Yes I said time. It's best to give it 4-5 days to sit and soak up the flavor.

Steps:
1. Slice the cucumbers with a thickness of about 1/8 of an inch.



2. Place cucumbers in a Tupperware that has a lid.


 
3. Pour enough white vinegar over the cucumbers to cover them completely. For the size container I used, it took about 5 cups.


4. Sprinkle sugar (or other sweetener) over the cucumber vinegar mixture. Use a little bit at a time. Let it sit for a day then add more as needed over the next few days. Don't add too much at the beginning because the flavor changes as it sits. Over all I will end up using between 1/4 cup & 1/2 cup of Splenda.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment